Steps to become a CTEC Registered Tax Preparers (CRTP) in California:
- Complete 60-hours of qualifying tax education from a CTEC Approved Provider
- Our beginner income tax course with a California state supplement – the CA Comprehensive Tax Course — is approved by CTEC for qualifying education, which is a required course for tax preparers to become registered to practice in California.
- Obtain a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) from the IRS
- Obtain a $5,000 tax preparer bond
- Register with CTEC within 18 months from the completion date on the certificate of completion
California law requires anyone who prepares tax returns for a fee within the State of California — and is not an exempt preparer — to register as a tax preparer with CTEC.
Exempt preparers include:
- California Certified Public Accountants (CPAs)
- Enrolled Agents (EAs)
- Attorneys who are members of the State Bar of California
- Learn more at CTEC website
It’s easy to become a CTEC approved tax professional with our CA Comprehensive Income Tax Course. Get everything you need to start your career – fast!
All you have to do is study the tax material we give you, and understand when certain laws and rules apply. The ITS California Comprehensive Tax Course teaches you everything you need to know to succeed as a tax professional in California!
We help you:
- Learn tax preparation – with our Comprehensive Tax Course. In this beginner tax preparer course, you will learn to prepare tax returns and research tax issues for most Form 1040 individual, non-business taxpayers and small business taxpayers (self-employed/Schedule C).
- Become CTEC approved as a CRTP in California – Upon successful completion of the course, we will
- Send you a Certificate of Completion
- Submit your course completion information directly to CTEC
**SAVE $100 NOW with code CTEC-15
Thinking of Starting Your Own Tax Business?
Add the Business Start-Up Guides: For only $100 more, you’ll get the following guides to help you start your own tax business…
- Guide to Starting a Tax Business & Getting Clients
- Guide to Policies & Procedures for a Tax Business
More Than One Student?
If you have more than one student that you would like to sign up for our courses, you can get a discount!