Learn tax preparation and meet your initial education requirement to become an Oregon Licensed Tax Preparer with our tax school. The Income Tax School (ITS) is a Basic Course Sponsor for tax preparers in Oregon. Successful completion of our Oregon Comprehensive Tax Course meets your requirement for basic tax training, which is required by the Oregon State Board of Tax Practitioners.
The Income Tax School’s Exam Instructor Pass Rate for March 1, 2012-February 28, 2013 is 100%. All students that took our Oregon Comprehensive Tax Course went on to pass the Oregon Board administered exam.
An Oregon Tax Preparer license enables you to lawfully prepare personal income tax returns in Oregon for a fee or valuable consideration. A tax preparer must work under the supervision of a licensed tax consultant, a certified public accountant, a public accountant, or an attorney-at-law.
Here’s the list of requirements to become an Oregon Licensed Tax Preparer
- Be at least 18 years old
- Possess a high school or general equivalency diploma (GED)
- Complete an 80-hour basic tax course – The Income Tax School is an Oregon Basic Course Sponsor and has an Oregon tax preparation course that meets this requirement
- Pass the tax preparer examination administered by the Board with a score of 75% or higher
- Receive and submit your ”Session Attendance Certification Form” (Certificate of Completion) to the Oregon Board office with your license application
It’s easy to become an Oregon tax professional with our OR Comprehensive Tax Course
Get everything you need to start your career – fast! All you have to do is study the tax material we give you, and understand when certain laws and rules apply. The ITS Oregon Comprehensive Tax Course teaches you everything you need to know to succeed as a tax preparer in Oregon! This course also covers all of the material on the IRS RTRP exam and will prepare you for the exam should it be reinstated.
The ITS beginner tax course with Oregon state supplement – OR Comprehensive Tax Course — is approved by the Oregon State Board for Tax Practitioners as a Basic Course Sponsor, which is a required course for tax preparers to become registered to practice in Oregon.
We help you:
- Learn tax preparation – with our Comprehensive Tax Course. In this beginner tax preparer course available from our tax school, you will learn to prepare tax returns and research tax issues for most Form 1040 individual, non-business taxpayers and small business taxpayers (self-employed/Schedule C). No prior tax knowledge or experience is needed.
- Prepare for the Oregon Tax Preparer Examination to become a Tax Preparer in Oregon – Upon successful completion of the course, we’ll send your “Session Attendance Certification Form” (Certificate of Completion) signed by your course instructor.
The Oregon Comprehensive Tax Course teaches you the fundamentals of federal tax law. And we don’t just teach you the law with our tax preparation courses, you also learn how to apply it in your review questions and learning activities by preparing practice tax returns.
The tax returns that you are preparing are based on real-life scenarios. That enables you to internalize the knowledge and gives you a solid foundation you can continue to build on. We follow up with quizzes and an exam to make sure that the knowledge is really sinking in. You can download the quizzes and exam beforehand and prepare them off-line at your own pace. Input your answers online when you are confident with your answers.
Here what you get in the Comprehensive Tax Course Career Package:
Comprehensive Tax Course (Oregon Approved Basic Course Sponsor, Covers all IRS exam topics):
- Online student manual in PDF format- enables you to read off-line if you prefer. Put the text on your laptop, ipad, etc.
(optional hard copy manual available for fee)
- All-States Individual Federal Income Tax Guide
- 50% Off Following Year’s 15-Hour CE Package (Ethics and Tax Law Updates Available)
- Certificate recognizes your completion of the Comprehensive Tax Course
Free academic support:
- Instructor support via email within 24 hours or less
- Access to instructor and student forums to discuss course topics, ask questions and get updates
50% off our 15-hour CE package (ethics and tax law updates available) for the following year
Launch your own tax business in weeks – No franchise fees or royalties
It’s easy to go into business for yourself. The Comprehensive Tax Course is also available with a Business Package for Oregon. This tax school package includes everything in the Oregon Comprehensive Tax Course above, plus 2 guides on How to Start a Tax Business & Get Clients, and Policies & Procedures of a Tax Business. With this package, you’ll be in business in no time.
Guide to Starting a Tax Business & Getting Clients includes:
Getting Started, Taking the Courses, Starting Your Own Business, Specifics for a Tax Business, How Do You Get Clients? (Includes sample marketing pieces), Bootstrap Marketing Materials You’ll Need, Meeting With Your Client, How to Price Your Services, Continuing Education, Client Retention, and Becoming a Brick and Mortar Business.
Guide to Policies & Procedures for a Tax Business includes:
Introduction, Company Philosophy, Personnel Policies, Tax Office Policies and Procedures, Tax Preparation Procedures, Processing Tax Returns, and Client Folder Setup.
When it’s time for your annual continuing education, The Income Tax School is an approved provider of OBTB
We offer numerous CE tax seminars and advanced tax courses for your continuing education: Check out our tax course catalog.
To renew your registration in Oregon you must…
- Complete 30 hours of continuing education related to tax law and tax preparation per year. You must attest to having completed a minimum of 30 hours of acceptable continuing education during the 13 months prior to each license year.
- Continuing education is waived for the first renewal of a tax preparer. All tax preparer licenses expire annually on September 30 following initial application for license or renewal. Renewal applications are due no later than October 15th (postmark date). OBTP gives you a grace period of two weeks, during which time you do not have to pay the $35 reactivation fee (late fee). On the renewal application, you will self-attest that you have met the annual education requirements.
- Tax preparers who allow their licenses to lapse or be inactive for less than three years must attest to 30 hours of acceptable continuing education for each lapsed or inactive year to qualify for license renewal or reactivation.
For More Information about OBTP: