Answer for I want to become a tax preparer in California. Are there any special requirements

As a California resident you would need to complete a Qualifying Course required by the California Tax Education Council (CTEC) offered by a CTEC-approved provider such as The Income Tax School. Our CTEC 60-hour Qualifying Course includes an exam at the end of each of the four 5-lesson modules. There is no additional exam required by CTEC. Below are the CTEC requirements posted on their website.

All CTEC Registered Tax Preparers (CRTPs) must…
1. First complete 60-hours (45 hours federal and 15 hours state) of qualifying tax education from a CTEC Approved Provider
2. Obtain a PTIN (Preparer Tax Identification Number) from the IRS
3. Purchase a $5,000 tax preparer bond* (*Bonding Requirements: Tax preparer bonds can be purchased from most insurance or surety companies, and can be found in your local yellow pages, through your insurance agent or using an online bonding agency.)
4. Register with CTEC within 18 months from the completion date on the certificate of completion
Learn more about becoming a CTEC Registered Tax Preparer (CRTP)

Start Your Own Tax Business