To start a tax preparation business, you need to do at least the following:
1. Learn tax preparation for individual and, if desired, business tax returns
2. Obtain from IRS a Preparer Tax ID No (PTIN) and Electronic Filing ID No. (EFIN)
(California, Maryland and Oregon tax preparers must meet special preparer licensing requirements)
3. Purchase a professional tax preparation software product
4. Locate and lease an office, or operate out of your home.
5. Purchase the necessary computer and other office equipment
6. Determine how you will get clients
Our Comprehensive Tax Course with Business Package will enable you to learn to prepare individual Form 1040 tax returns and get started in the tax business.