To renew your registration, all licensed Maryland Individual Tax Preparers must…
- Complete at least 16-hours of continuing tax education, by your renewal date, which is two years from date of issuance.
- Four of the 16-hours must be in Maryland state tax-related subjects.
- Two of the four Maryland hours may be satisfied by a federal or state course in ethics.
- The regulations for CPE have been adopted and can be found at COMAR 09.38.02.
- Maintain a valid Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN)
- Renew your registration by your renewal date, which is two years from date of issuance. Your continuing education needs to be completed by this time in order to maintain your status.
The following is a link to the CPE Audit Checklist, which can be used to keep a record and a running total of CPE hours. Upon renewal, the “total hours earned” should equal at least 16. If asked by the Board to submit proof of CPE hours, this Checklist should be certified with your signature and submitted with course documentation.