Starting your tax school is easy!
- Step 1
- Become a Licensee:
To use The Income Tax School tax training materials to teach live or online tax classes to recruit and train tax preparers, you must become a tax school licensee and sign our license agreement.
- New licensees must purchase the Operator’s Starter Kit with License. Prior licensees must purchase a Renewal License. The license agreement states you are using the tax training materials to train tax preparers for your own office(s) and you will not reproduce copy or misuse any of the materials. License Agreement
- Check with your state about any requirements there may be for running a school.
- Step 2
- Determine what tax training materials you need to order and how you plan to teach:
- Choose what tax course(s) to teach:
We offer comprehensive beginner and advanced income tax courses. Your course selections may be determined by the most common type of tax returns you prepare in your offices. For instance, if you prepare only individual returns, you should start with the Comprehensive Tax Course.
- Decide how many students you plan to teach:
This will help you determine the size kit(s) you will need to order. Three, five and ten-student kit sizes are available.
- Determine if you will teach in a live classroom setting, online, or a combination of the two:
All kits include online User IDs and Passcodes to complete assignments online. Online kits do not include hard copy books; however, they are available for an additional fee. All required materials are available online for students and instructors. Book kits are available if you choose to teach live tax classes or if you want hard copy manuals for your students. Some licensees choose a combination kit, with some students learning in a classroom setting and some online. This is a great option for students who are unable to attend your live tax classes. Read about the benefits of both options below. Interested in having a mix of traditional classroom and online? Please call us at (800) 984-1040 to place a combination order.
- What is included in a training kit
- Instructor FAQs
- Instructor Pricing Guide
- Choose what tax course(s) to teach:
- Step 3
- Consider purchasing marketing materials to promote your tax school:
- If you’re unsure what sort of response you’ll have, consider purchasing some of our marketing materials first, to help promote your upcoming classes. We offer flyers, posters, banners and inquiry and follow-up cards.
- Order Banners and Posters
Click Play to Watch Video
Ready to start now?
If you are teaching taxes to a larger class or multiple classes a volume discount may be available.
Call 1.800.984.1040 for our volume discount pricing (25+ students).
Call now and we’ll help you select the package that’s right for you — (800) 984-1040 (Monday-Friday).
Or email your phone number to us and we’ll call you.
Want to Offer CE to your employees and prospects?
- As an ITS licensee, you also have the option of becoming an IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider using ITS materials. The process takes about 1-2 months and the cost is an additional $565/per year, paid directly to the IRS. To learn more about this option, visit the IRS Continuing Education Providers page, or call or email our Partner Relationship Manager, email Maureen Scott or call 1-800-984-1040, to speak with her by phone.
Benefits of Teaching in a Classroom Setting
- Observe candidates before hiring them
- Teach interview techniques through role-playing
- Student interaction enhances learning
- Develop a rapport with employee prospects
Benefits of Teaching Online
- Accessible from any computer with Internet Access
- No classroom teaching and equipment required
- Automatic grading on all homework, quizzes and exams
- Easy monitoring of students’ progress with the LMS Dashboard
- Easy online access to instructor resource center and more
(IRS website, forms, IRS Publication)
- Students can work at their own pace, 24/7
- Accommodates students unable to attend live classes
Did You Know…
You can teach in a live classroom setting, but have students go online to complete graded assignments? Benefits include:
- Instant feedback for students
- Plus, less instructor time going over and grading assignments
- A Win-Win!
On the fence about operating your own tax preparation training school?
Here are 5 great reasons to start now!
#1 It’s a best practice!
National tax firms use this approach to fuel business expansion and grow their tax business. Our turn-key package gives you tools and techniques comparable to those used for the world’s largest tax service providers.
#2 You staff your own business.
Staff your own tax preparation business by training job seekers. When they finish the Comprehensive Tax Course, they are ready to prepare tax returns for the general public. If they measure up to your requirements and expectations, hire them.
#3 Build off-season profits.
Use the quiet months to generate income by teaching tax preparation. Job applicants pay you to train them, with no guarantee of employment. Even if you don’t bring them on board, our top-quality training prepares them to save on their own taxes. It’s a win-win.
#4 Improve your ability to hire right the first time.
You save hours of interviewing time and avoid costly hiring mistakes. While students are taking your tax class, you can assess their skills. You’ll learn a lot about whether they’ll be a good fit for your business while you are training them.
#5 Retain more employees.
Help them improve their skills; teach them what they don’t already know, so they so they can pass the Annual Filing Season Program (AFSP); and provide courses that fulfill CE requirements. Provide the path for professional growth and your best people will stay with you.
Get started teaching your own tax class today!
- Let us walk you through how it works—give us a call — (800) 984-1040 (Monday-Friday). Or email your phone number to us and we’ll call you.
- View tax training kits and materials
Have Questions? Give us a call at 1.800.984.1040 or email us.