Starting your tax school is easy!
- Step 1
- Become a Licensee:
To use The Income Tax School tax training materials to teach live or online tax classes to recruit and train tax preparers, you must become a tax school licensee and sign our License Agreement. The license agreement states you are using the tax training materials to train tax preparers for your own office(s), and protects our intellectual property against copyright infringement.
- New licensees must purchase the Operator’s Starter Kit with License.
- Prior licensees must purchase a Renewal License.
- Check with your state about any requirements there may be for running a school.
- California – Qualifying Education approved provider application
- Step 2
- Determine what tax training materials you need to order and how you plan to teach:
- Choose what tax course(s) to teach:
We offer comprehensive beginner and advanced income tax courses. Your course selections may be determined by the most common type of tax returns you prepare in your offices. For instance, if you prepare only individual returns, you should start with the Comprehensive Tax Course.
- Decide how many students you plan to teach:
This will help you determine the size kit(s) you will need to order. Three, five and ten-student kit sizes are the most common packages but we can customize to fit your class size.
- Determine if you will teach in a live classroom setting or online:
There are benefits to both options. See below for more details.
- What is included in a training kit
- Instructor FAQs
- Choose what tax course(s) to teach:
Benefits of Teaching in a Classroom Setting
- Observe candidates before hiring them
- Teach interview techniques through role-playing
- Student interaction enhances learning
- Develop a rapport with employee prospects
Benefits of Teaching Online
- Accessible from any computer with Internet Access
- No classroom teaching and equipment required
- Automatic grading on all homework, quizzes and exams
- Monitor students’ progress with our Instructor Dashboard
- Students can work at their own pace, 24/7, within a 6 month term.
Ready to get started?
If you are teaching taxes to a larger class or multiple classes a volume discount may be available.
Call 1-800-984-1040 for our volume discount pricing (25+ students).
Call now and we’ll help you select the package that’s right for you — 1-800-984-1040 (Monday-Friday).
Or email your phone number to us and we’ll call you.
Did You Know…
You can teach in a live classroom setting, but have students go online to complete graded assignments with our grading portal? Students will have instant scoring of all graded assignments. This allows less instructor time going over and grading assignments. It’s a win-win!
On the fence about operating your own tax preparation training school?
Here are 5 great reasons to start now!
#1 It’s a best practice!
National tax firms use this approach to fuel business expansion and grow their tax business. Our turn-key package gives you tools and techniques comparable to those used for the world’s largest tax service providers.
#2 You staff your own business.
Staff your own tax preparation business by training job seekers. When they finish the Comprehensive Tax Course, they are ready to prepare tax returns for the general public. If they measure up to your requirements and expectations, hire them.
#3 Build off-season profits.
Use the quiet months to generate income by teaching tax preparation. Job applicants pay you to train them, with no guarantee of employment. Even if you don’t bring them on board, our top-quality training prepares them to save on their own taxes. It’s a win-win.
#4 Improve your ability to hire right the first time.
You save hours of interviewing time and avoid costly hiring mistakes. While students are taking your tax class, you can assess their skills. You’ll learn a lot about whether they’ll be a good fit for your business while you are training them.
#5 Retain more employees.
Help them improve their skills; teach them what they don’t already know, so they so they can pass the Annual Filing Season Program (AFSP); and provide courses that fulfill CE requirements. Provide the path for professional growth and your best people will stay with you.
Get started teaching your own tax class today!
- Let us walk you through how it works—give us a call — 1-800-984-1040 (Monday-Friday). Or email your phone number to us and we’ll call you.
- View tax training kits and materials
Have Questions? Give us a call at 1-800-984-1040 or email us.