Quality Online Courses You Can Afford
In addition to providing outstanding tax preparation courses at affordable rates with a money back guarantee, benefits of enrolling in tax courses at The Income Tax School (ITS), include:
- Learn how to prepare income tax returns for the general taxpaying public.
- Prior tax or accounting experience or knowledge is not necessary.
- Student Text is provided entirely online with optional hard-copies available.
- Instructor support – answers provided quickly to help you succeed.
- Learn everything you need to know to succeed as a tax professional through our tax school.
- Installment payment plan options available for all tax courses.
- California approved by CTEC for qualifying and continuing education. Learn more
- Oregon approved by OBTP for qualifying education. Learn more
- Maryland Approval in process for qualifying education. Learn more
- New York Approval in process for qualifying education. Learn more
Ready to take the next step and begin a tax course? Compare our most popular tax preparation courses and certificate programs in the table below and click “Enroll Now” under your desired option to get complete details and sign-up.
Interested in seeing a complete list of all ITS courses, bundles and certificate programs?
Click here to download our comparison chart PDF.
- Chartered Tax Advisor
- 30 Lessons (90 hours of CE)
- Covers Basic & Advanced Form 1040 Individual Taxes
- 15 hour annual CE requirement
- 100 hour experience requirement
- Enroll Now
- Comprehensive Tax Course
- 20 Lessons (60 hours of CE)
- Covers basic Form 1040 individual taxes
- No annual CE requirement
- No experience requirement
- Enroll Now
- Chartered Tax Consultant
- 40 Lessons (120 hours of CE)
- Covers basic and advanced Form 1040 and small business corporation Form 1120 & Form 1120S and partnership Form 1065
- 15 hour annual CE requirement
- 100 hour experience requirement
- Enroll Now
- Chartered Tax Professional
- 60 Lessons (180 hours of CE)
- Covers basic and advanced Form 1040 and small business corporation Form 1120 & Form 1120S and partnership Form 1065. Covers all topics on IRS Enrolled Agent (EA) exam.
- 15 hour annual CE requirement
- 500 hour experience requirement
- Enroll Now
More Information About The Income Tax School & Tax Preparation Classes
Choose the Comprehensive Tax Course Business Package and you get everything in the Career package, plus 2 guides to help you get started on the right foot and keep you from reinventing the wheel.:
- How to Start a Tax Business & Get Clients
- Policies & Procedures of a Tax Office
Launch your own tax business in weeks – No franchise fees or royalties
Learn to prepare tax returns & make money in just weeks
Practicing tax professionals show you how to prepare correct income tax returns.
When you complete the ITS Comprehensive Tax Course (in just 10 weeks or less) you will be
- qualified for employment or self-employment as a tax professional
- ready to start earning money
You can continue your professional education and earn the prestigious CTP® (Chartered Tax Professional) credential, also available from ITS.
Important: If you are taking this course to begin a career in taxation; several requirements will apply to you.
- Complete Comprehensive Tax Course (1st course in CTP program)
- Register with the IRS and get a PTIN
- Begin preparing tax returns as a tax preparer
It’s easy to become a tax professional using our program. Get everything you need to start your career – fast!
You don’t have to know about taxes. You don’t even have to be great at math or accounting! All you have to do is study the tax material we give you, and understand when certain laws and rules apply. We help you:
Learn tax preparation
with our Comprehensive Tax Course. In this beginner tax preparer course, you will learn to prepare tax returns and research tax issues for most Form 1040 individual, non-business taxpayers and small business taxpayers (self-employed/Schedule C).
The Comprehensive Tax Course Career Package teaches you the fundamentals of federal tax law. And we don’t just teach you the law, you also learn how to apply it in your review questions and learning activities by preparing practice tax returns.
The tax returns that you are preparing are based on real-life scenarios. That enables you to internalize the knowledge and gives you a solid foundation you can continue to build on. We follow up with quizzes and an exam to make sure that the knowledge is really sinking in. You can download the quizzes and exam beforehand and prepare them off-line at your own pace. Input your answers online when you are confident with your answers.
Plus, you get a FREE All-State Tax Guide, which
- Helps you learn individual tax preparation for your state and any other states you may need to learn, such as adjacent states
- Provides a summary of the key differences from federal for every state with an income tax, along with links to each states complete income tax instructions, to make it easier to prepare state returns for the federal tax return problems in our course
- Includes all of the 41 states with an income tax (including the District of Columbia) except California and Oregon, for which ITS provides special courses to meet tax preparer licensing requirements. Also included is New York City
- Included at no additional charge
Get the tax laws “in your bones”
You learn how to prepare returns without using tax preparation software with our comprehensive online tax courses. By preparing practice tax returns manually instead of having tax software do it for you, you will learn the tax laws and be prepared to correctly prepare tax returns
Get the Comprehensive Tax Course with Career Package
- Online student manual in PDF format- enables you to read off-line if you prefer. Put the text on your laptop, ipad, etc. (optional hard copy manual available for fee)
- All-States Individual Federal Income Tax Guide
- 50% Off Following Year’s 15-Hour CE Package (Ethics and Tax Law Updates Available)
- The certificate recognizes your completion of the Comprehensive Tax Course.
Free academic support
- Instructor support via email within 24 hours or less
- Access to instructor and student forums to discuss course topics, ask questions and get updates
- CTEC Qualifying Course & OBTP Basic Course Sponsor
Launch your own tax business in weeks – no franchise fees or royalties
It’s easy to go into business for yourself. The Comprehensive Tax Course is also available with a Business Package. This package includes everything in the Comprehensive Tax Course Career Package above, plus 2 guides on How to Start a Tax Business & Get Clients, and Policies & Procedures of a Tax Office . With this package, you’ll be in business in no time.
Guide to Starting a Tax Business & Getting Clients includes:
Getting Started, Taking the Courses, Starting Your Own Business, Specifics for a Tax Business, How Do You Get Clients? (Includes sample marketing pieces), Bootstrap Marketing Materials You’ll Need, Meeting With Your Client, How to Price Your Services, Continuing Education, Client Retention, and Becoming a Brick and Mortar Business.
Guide to Policies & Procedures for a Tax Business includes:
Introduction, Company Philosophy, Personnel Policies, Tax Office Policies and Procedures, Tax Preparation Procedures, Processing Tax Returns, and Client Folder Setup.
Advance your tax preparation career with a wide array of instruction from ITS
Choose from advanced individual and small business courses, as well as short seminars on more than 30 advanced topics. These advanced topics will help you make more money and keep you ahead of your competitors.
Learn more about our Chartered Tax Professional certificate program that lets you add the prestigious designation of CTP® to your credentials. This unique certificate program consists of 5 federal tax courses. It includes our Comprehensive Tax Course, where you learn to prepare tax returns and research tax issues for most Form 1040 individual, non-business taxpayers and small business taxpayers (self-employed/Schedule C).
Then you continue to the 4 remaining tax courses (Advanced I & II, and Small Business I & II) while practicing as a tax preparer. As a CTP®, you will be able to handle more involved individual tax situations as well as tax returns for small business corporations, partnerships and more complex sole proprietorships. This opens up new, more lucrative markets for you. As a CTP®, you will also have the tax knowledge and experience to prepare for the IRS Enrolled Agent (EA) exam, if you wish to add the coveted EA credential to your professional designation as a CTP®. Upon completion of the CTP® program, you should only need an EA exam review before sitting for the EA exam.
If you’ve already registered or completed the Comprehensive Tax Course, you can upgrade to the CTP® package for a lesser amount by calling us at 800.984.1040 or emailing us. The CTP certificate program is truly the pathway to becoming an EA. If you’re serious about becoming a tax professional, you should consider this certificate program, available through our tax school. Put your continuing education toward a certificate that prepares you for the highest designation in the tax industry, the Enrolled Agent (EA)! Learn more about the Chartered Tax Professional certificate program
Expand your business with ITS programs you can use to hire and train tax preparers in-house
7 Reasons to sign up for ALL of our tax preparation courses…
- Get the most current information and use it immediately.
All ITS tax courses are developed and taught by practicing tax professionals. Our curriculum developers and instructors have years of real world experience preparing individual and small business tax returns year-round for our sister company, Peoples Income Tax, Inc.
- You always know how well you’re doing.
No more waiting for someone to grade your work. Every ITS course you take includes immediate grading with feedback on all quizzes, homework assignments, and exams. You learn what questions you may need to work on, and why the right answer is correct.
- You are not in this alone.
Instructors support you throughout each course by email. They provide specific answers to your questions –quickly. Instructor response time is always within 24 hours. Students rave about a much faster response time than that!A student forum is available for all ITS students to chat online with one another, as well as with ITS instructors. This is a great place to discuss course topics, ask questions, and get updates.
- Study whenever—and wherever—it’s convenient for you.
You can study whenever it’s convenient for you. ITS courses are available online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Your student manual, coursework and reference material are all available online. You can begin as soon as you receive your login information.
- Affordable prices and payment plans make it easy to lay the foundation for your new career.
Many of our most popular courses offer a payment plan should you need that option.
- Money Back Guarantee
All courses come with a Money Back Guarantee. Receive a full refund (less any shipping charges) within 5 days for courses with fewer than 30 hours, and 15 days for courses with 30 hours or more. Cancel later and receive a pro-rated refund.
- The length of your tax course depends on you
You set your own pace. We recommend you complete two lessons per week, which would enable you to complete the 20-lesson Comprehensive Tax Course in just ten weeks. This is very doable even if you’re working full-time. If you have more time, you can finish even sooner.
If you decide to continue your tax education, you can finish each 10-lesson advanced individual or small business course in 5 to 10 weeks or less, depending on the length of each course. (Learn more about how long it takes to complete our courses.)
Continuing Education Requirements
Enrolled Agents (EA) and Certified Public Accountants (CPA) may be awarded credit toward requirements for Continuing Education (CE) by successfully completing courses through The Income Tax School. Verification of CE credit should be obtained before enrolling in a course since this may vary from state to state.
The Income Tax School is the comprehensive solution for all of your tax training needs.
Our tax courses are approved by:
The Income Tax School is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37217-2417. Web site: www.nasba.org
Benefits for Tax School Graduates
- Enjoy a career helping people
- Save on your own taxes
- Earn high income
- Meet your CE requirements
- Earn a Certificate to display in your office
Here’s how ITS tax preparation courses work…
it’s really a simple process
- Step 1:
- Select the course you desire – You’ll get online access within 24 hours.
- Step 2:
- Once you have online access, begin your course work at your own pace.
- Step 3:
- Courses are automatically graded and have instructional feedback.
- Step 4:
- Get stuck? – Instructors answer your questions via email.
- Step 5:
- Achieve an average grade of 70% or higher and you’re done – Certificate Awarded!
Get started now!