CTA® Certificate Program Includes:
- Comprehensive Tax Course (Standard or California)
- Advanced I Tax Course
- 100-hour experience requirement
*Note: All course content, student resources, and other offers that come with the listed courses are included in the Certificate Program as well. For more details, visit the individual course pages.
Certificate Programs are a series of courses designed to be taken one at a time. In order to earn the CTA designation, you must pass the courses with at least an 80% average grade on all graded assignments and meet the 100-hour experience requirement. Upon completing these requirements, you will be certified by The Income Tax School and can add the CTA designation to your professional title.
Depending on when you purchase, you could start your first course and by the time you’re ready to start the next one a new edition could be available. For this reason, we give you access (and ship your books) to each course one at a time, to ensure you get the most up-to-date version available.
Upon purchase, you will receive login credentials and may start the Comprehensive course right away. These courses are not a webinars, so you can work at your own pace and access the course content at any time. You have 6 months to complete Comprehensive and an additional 3 months to complete Advanced I, though many students finish earlier. A course extension may be purchased from our online store, if needed.
A series of two income tax courses totaling 90 hours must be completed within 9 months. Plus, there is a 100-hour experience requirement to receive the CTA designation.
- Comprehensive Tax Course – 60 hours
- Advanced I Tax Course – 30 hours
After completing the first tax course, you’ll have enough tax knowledge to start working towards your 100-hour experience requirement. Plus, you can start earning money!
These courses are not webinars
Guide to Start and Grow Your Successful Tax Business is non-refundable
Free AFTR course only available when IRS releases access
We provide all students with a free Tax Law Update once the IRS issues updates
Students will complete 1 course at a time to provide the most recent course editions throughout completion of the program
- Online, self-study beginner tax course
- Study anywhere/anytime with an internet connection
- No prerequisites required
- All reading material is viewable online with optional PDF downloads
- Printed and bound books are an optional add-on for a fee
- Academic support from tax school instructors provided by email
- Automatic grading with instructional feedback
- Certificate of Completion for each course in the program
- Emailed upon completion with a final passing grade of 70% or greater
- Chartered Tax Certificate students are held at a higher standard and must have an average grade of 80% or higher within the program to earn a Chartered Tax credential.
- Certificate students must have an average grade of 80% or better within the program and fulfill the 100-hour experience requirement to achieve the designation.
- A printed certificate suitable for framing will be mailed upon successful completion of all two courses,plus the experience requirement.
- Learn more about the experience requirement
- Annual CE Requirement for Chartered Tax Certificate Graduates
- To maintain the CTA® designation, CTA® graduates must complete a total of 15 hours of CE annually upon completion of the program (9 hours federal tax law, 3 hours ethics, 3 hours federal tax law updates)
- Approved by Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR)
- We report your credit hours to the IRS
- CTEC Approved
- State material is available for California (Choose CA edition)
- Upon successful completion of the course, we will notify CTEC of your completed credits
- CTEC Qualifying Education Course ID 1071-QE-1004
- 45-Hours of Federal CE and 15-Hours of CA State CE
- FREE AFTR Course,–6-hr Annual Federal Tax Refresher Course (when available)
- View our credentials
Already Have Some Tax Knowledge?
If you’ve already taken the Comprehensive Tax Course from us, you can still register for one of our Chartered Tax Certificate Programs and we’ll submit your completed course into the program. Or, if you already have some tax knowledge under your belt from another source, you may test out of the Comprehensive Tax Course only, register for one of the programs and move on to the next course. The cost to test out of the Comprehensive Tax Course is $100. Start by purchasing the test out and our school administrators will advise you how to proceed from there.